Sunday, November 8, 2009

Waking the Dead: The Eyes of the Heart

John Eldredge hits several interesting points of thought in the next chapter of his novel. The one point that speaks to me with the greatest clarity, however, is the notion that we all have a crucial role to play. Through this point we begin to understand how important we are to God and why we should live a life for Him alone.

Eldredge touches on a few examples from the Bible of how people that were insignificant in the eyes of men, did amazing things through the grace of God. We have the story of David, the young boy, who defeats Goliath, the skilled warrior. There's the 12 apostles, who start out as poor fishermen, and later ignite the christian movement. And of course there is Mary Magdalene, the prostitute, who later turns her life over to Christ and is remembered for heart of gold.

But although we have such evidence of this truth, Eldredge points out that the idea of us all having a crucial role to play still brings on more doubt than any of the other eternal truths. We get so caught up in the mundane nature of each day that we doubt they can be extraordinary. Until we start looking through the eyes of our heart, this is the fate we will suffer. But once we start to see that there is a glory to our lives that Satan fears, and we know in our hearts that God wants us to be extraordinary, everything will change. Eldredge describes that "the story of our lives is about the assault on our heart by the one who knows what we could be and fears it." Its through this assault that our heart hardens from bringing the proper glory to God.

This point is energizing to me. And I think to an extent, it can be energizing to everyone because we all want to know that we are important. By God giving us the potential to do extraordinary things that would bring Him glory, we have a wide open opportunity to play a crucial role in his awesome plan. I want to personally turn on the eyes of my heart by actually "getting" what God tells me to do. Too often, we let ourselves go through the motions without feeling, but God expects more out of us. Knowing that I am crucial to God's plan allows me to see the importance of where I personally take my faith. It means that I am not wasting my time, but actually bringing God glory when I study scripture, praise in worship, or share the word to my friends. God offers us worth, but its our job to see it and take it.

1 comment:

  1. good catch - when we are on mission, we are energized. so part of leadership is understanding that dynamic and helping others through the same kind of thing. the Church is meant to be on a mission, not a country club.

    good good.

    ReplyDelete